Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Single Serving Brownie in the Microwave

These recipes have been floating around the web for a while but I just came upon it the other day and I can't tell you how excited I was at the prospect of not only making a single serving of brownie, but making it in less than five minutes!  You read that right - a delicious chocolately treat in under five minutes! 

I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical about how good a dessert that is traditionally baked in an oven would turn out in a microwave, but I have to say, I was really impressed with the results.  There are a lot of variations on this recipe and the key to most of them seems to be equal amounts of flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and two different liquids (oil, water, yogurt, etc.).  So, based off of that and some healthier substitutions on ingredients found in many of the recipes, here is my single serving microwaveable brownie recipe:


1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
1 tablespoon Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder
1 tablespoon applesauce, natural, unsweetened
1 tablespoon water
pinch of salt
pinch of baking soda

Put all the ingredients into a ramekin or mug, in no particular order.  Mix thoroughly (I used a fork) until all the ingredients are well-blended.  Then, microwave on high for 60-70 seconds.  Mine seemed to be "cooked" to perfection at 70 seconds, but it all depends on the microwave. 

This recipe will produce a more cake-like brownie with a bit of chew.  I estimate that one serving is around 100 calories, which is pretty hard to come by with baked goods. 

If you don't have all of the above ingredients in your pantry, and let's face it, the whole point of this dessert is to be able to make it without having to run to the store, there are some substitutions you can make that still results in total deliciousness.  You can use regular brown sugar (I recommend light brown sugar) or granulated sugar instead of the Splenda Blend.  Any cocoa powder will work as long as it doesn't already contain sugar.  Instead of applesauce, you can use vegetable/canola oil or yogurt.  I also used milk in place of the water for a brownie I made for my husband and he really liked it.

If you wanted to dress this up a bit, you could also throw in some chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or miniature marshmallows.  And for something really decadent, you could top it with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream.  Is your mouth starting to water yet?

If you end up giving this recipe a try or know of another good microwaveable treat, please share!

Thanks for stopping by!

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment