Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Handmade Autumn Wreath

I still feel like summer is just starting - maybe because the nice weather always arrives late here in the Pacific Northwest.  However, I have noticed that the craft stores are starting to get their fall decorations on the shelves so I thought I'd share an autumn craft for those already looking ahead.

When my mother-in-law Cathie came to visit last October, she brought some arts and crafts to do with Chris along with some project ideas that tied into the season.  Her crafting with our son was actually the start of other craft projects that we've found to do with Christopher.  Cathie lives in sunny Southern California (which is where hubby is originally from) and unfortunately she isn't able to visit as often as we'd like, so whenever she's here, we really cherish the time together.






This project was originally intended to be a grandma and grandson project while the Mr. and I went on a long overdue dinner date but I think Chris got bored from a previous craft that grandma had him working on because when we got home, they were snuggled up on the couch. 

Unfortunately, I didn't think to take pictures while Cathie and I worked on this, but it's really simple.  The base of the wreath is made from a piece of cardboard that was cut out in the shape of a large donut.  We used a generous dot of craft glue on each leaf to attach it to the base and did our best to cover any cardboard that was showing.  I think we tried attaching some of the pinecones, but there wasn't much surface area to spread the glue.  


I think it turned out great and it is a wonderful reminder of the time spent with my mother-in-law (it currently hangs above our couch).  Hope this gives you some inspiration for your fall decorations.  If you aren't able to use dried leaves, I'm sure you could find some lovely faux leaves from your local craft store and you can always add other autumnal objects.  But if you're like me, you're still thinking of all the fun that summer has to offer.

Hope your days are sunny!

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment